вторник, 13 марта 2012 г.

Margaret, 3, back safe and unhurt after kidnap Kidnapped three-year-old Margaret Hill has returned home, hungry and covered in mosquito bites, but unharmed, her father said.

Kidnapped three-year-old Margaret Hill has returned home, hungryand covered in mosquito bites, but unharmed, her father said.

The British youngster who lives in Nigeria with her parents Mikeand Oluchi, was snatched as she was being driven to school onThursday.

Margaret is reported to have said she was "fine" and happy to seeher mother.

The little girl was reunited with her parents last night and MrHill said no ransom had been paid to secure his daughter's release.

He said: "She was released due to the pressure put on the peopleby the security services of Nigeria."

He added that the little girl was covered head to foot in mosquitobites and that they planned for her to see a doctor today to bechecked out.

Margaret had been "in a little bit of a trance" when she was firstreturned to them but then came back to life and began talking to hermother, he said.

Asked about how she had been treated and where she was kept, hesaid: "She was in the bush ... in some sort of hut ... I don't thinkshe had much to eat because she is hungry now."

Describing the ordeal of the past few days, Mr Hill added: "Thepressure is unbelievable, it's difficult to explain. You stop eatingand can't think of anything else. You are just worrying all thetime."

The kidnappers had targeted his wife and repeatedly phoned herbecause they believed she was the "weakest link", Mr Hill added.

He said he did not believe they were real militants from the Deltaand added that his daughter's kidnap had not put him off Nigeria ingeneral.

He said: "I do not have a problem with Nigeria, I think about 99%of people are very good. It's the one per cent that spoils them all."

Mr Hill, who is originally from County Durham, has lived inNigeria for around 10 years and works in the energy industry. He alsoruns a popular nightspot in Port Harcourt.

Foreign Secretary David Miliband said he was "delighted" andthanked those who worked to secure Margaret's release.

"I am grateful to the Nigerian authorities for all their help andI hope the perpetrators will be swiftly brought to justice."

Gunmen seized Margaret while the car taking her to school wasstuck in traffic on Thursday in Port Harcourt, an oil industrycentre.

It was the first abduction of a foreign child in the increasinglylawless oil region of Africa's biggest oil producer.

More than 12 foreigners are currently in captivity, including fiveseized on Wednesday from a Royal Dutch Shell oil rig.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий